- Making projections about future performance on the basis of historical and current conditions data. Bloomberg Financial Dictionary
* * *to make a statement saying what is likely to happen in the future, based on information that is available now:
• Turnover is forecast to grow 6.7% this year.
• This year we forecast growth of 30%.forecast that
• The bank's chief economist has forecast that interest rates will fall within two months.forecast something at something
• GDP growth was forecast at 1%.— forecasting noun [uncountable] :
• Economic forecasting is not an exact science.— forecaster noun [countable] :
• The upturn in sales was double the increase the economic forecasters had been expecting.
* * *forecasting UK US /ˈfɔːkɑːstɪŋ/ US /ˈfɔrkæstɪŋ/ noun [U]► the job or activity of judging what is likely to happen in the future, based on the information you have now: economic/market/sales forecasting »
The report looks at the role of sales and market forecasting in the operation of the business.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
Forecasting — is the process of estimation in unknown situations. Prediction is a similar, but more general term. Both can refer to estimation of time series, cross sectional or longitudinal data. Usage can differ between areas of application: for example in… … Wikipedia
forecasting — fore cast*ing n. The process of calculating and predicting future events, usually based on extrapolation from past experience, and with varying degress of uncertainty. Syn: prediction, foretelling. [WordNet 1.5 +PJC] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
forecasting — index prophetic, provident (showing foresight) Burton s Legal Thesaurus. William C. Burton. 2006 … Law dictionary
Forecasting — The use of historic data to determine the direction of future trends. Forecasting is used by companies to determine how to allocate their budgets for an upcoming period of time. This is typically based on demand for the goods and services it… … Investment dictionary
forecasting — The art of estimating future demand for goods or services by anticipating how buyers are likely to react under given sets of conditions. See qualitative forecasting techniques; quantitative forecasting techniques … Big dictionary of business and management
forecasting — Gen Mgt the prediction of outcomes, trends, or expected future behavior of a business, industry sector, or the economy through the use of statistics. Forecasting is an operational research technique used as a basis for management planning and… … The ultimate business dictionary
forecasting — Synonyms and related words: actuarial prediction, aerography, aerology, anemology, apocalypse, barometry, climatography, climatology, foreboding, forecast, foreshowing, foresight, foretelling, guesswork, improbability, long range forecasting,… … Moby Thesaurus
forecasting — prognozavimas statusas T sritis Švietimas ir mokslas apibrėžtis Tam tikrais duomenimis pagrįstas spėjimas, kokia bus reiškinio, vyksmo ar veiksmų eiga. atitikmenys: angl. forecasting pranc. prévision, f … Aiškinamasis kvalifikacijų sistemos terminų žodynas
forecasting — prognozavimas statusas T sritis Kūno kultūra ir sportas apibrėžtis Prognozių sudarymas; metodas, padedantis geriau numatyti pagrindinius tikslus – iš daugelio tyrinėjimo etapų sudaryta veikla, siekianti gauti informaciją apie nagrinėjamo vyksmo… … Sporto terminų žodynas
forecasting — / fɔ:kɑ:stɪŋ/ noun calculating what will probably happen in the future ● Manpower planning will depend on forecasting the future levels of production … Marketing dictionary in english